2017 National BBQ Sauce Championship
The Public Choice Award is open to the public.
Registration is now open, submit your 2017 Sauce Competition Entry Form and bottles now. The Championship is open to BBQ sauces from anywhere in the world. The sauce must be a commercial sauce, labeled and with a valid UPC. The sauce must be within its expiration date at the time of submission and at the time of judging.
The Sauce Championship is conducted under a strict oversight with blind judging and pursuant to the Sauce Championship Rules. The judges of the Sauce Championship will include nationally recognized restaurateurs, BBQ judges and competitors, and industries professionals. If you would like to be considered as a judge, please fill out our Sauce Championship Judge’s application.
There are 8 Categories, 28 Awards including a National Award and National People’s Choice Award.
Competition Judging is in an undisclosed location. This will be a blind judging using restaurant chefs, KCBS Certified BBQ judges, trained Illinois BBQ Society sauce judges and similar personal. The judging is not open to the public.
The Competition includes awards in the following categories:
- BBQ Competition Illinois Grand Champion
- BBQ Sauce Competition National Grand Champion
- People’s Choice Award – Illinois
- People’s Choice Award – National
- Best Tomato Sweet/Mild Sauce, Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Best Tomato Hot/Spicy Sauce, Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Best Vinegar Sweet/Mild Sauce, Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Best Vinegar Hot/Spicy Sauce, Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Best Mustard Sauce Sweet/Mild, Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Best Mustard Sauce Hot/Spicy, Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Best Fruit Sauce, Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Open Category including specialty and not otherwise falling into a category above, Gold, Silver and Bronze
The top three receive awards, the top ten in each category are identified. Judging is not open to the public.
Grand Champion and People’s Choice Award Trophies, medals for all other awards.
Early Submission entry: received on or before January 31, 2017, $25 entry fee per entry;
Submission Deadline, regular entry: received on or before March 31, 2017, $45 entry fee per entry.
Submission requirements: , Payment, 2017 Sauce Competition Entry Form, two bottles per entry, one for judging and one for people’s choice award (12 oz. minimum).
Judging: All sauces will be judged alone and on unseasoned pulled pork for all awards except the People’s Choice Award.